Our boat will depart from Orford Quay for the 20 minute boat trip down the river to the island. You will get an email with detailed directions with your booking confirmation.
We will sail on Sunday 27 August at 13:00 and will return to Orford on Bank Holiday Monday 28 August at 17:00
Additional dates for groups
can be arranged.
For enquiries please contact Monika@WASuffolk.com
Big Wild Sleep Out on Havergate Island
Spend a night and a day surrounded by wildlife on this peaceful nature reserve
This is your chance of an exclusive overnight stay on this uninhabited island on the Suffolk coast. Connect with nature on a relaxed evening stroll along the island's narrow footpath while taking in the sunset and the vast, star-studded skies. The following morning, wake early to watch the sun rise behind the Orford Ness lighthouse, improve your photography or bird watching skills with the help of our excellent guides, explore this unique place and watch its incredible wildlife before we all return to Orford by boat.
This is an adventure for photographers, birders and families alike and we offer guidance and activities for all ages and skill levels.
Our programme of exciting activities:
* Join Jeremy Hennell James, our photography guide, for a stroll along the island and improve your photography skills. All levels of knowledge and camera models are welcome.
* Follow our 'Ghosts of the Hares' trail and with some luck spot one of the wild Havergate hares in their natural home too.
* Join John Grant, one of Suffolk's most experienced birders, for a truly addicting birding experience or drop in at one of the bird watching hides on your own. We expect to see a good variety of wading birds and some early migrants, ducks and geese, barn owls, little egrets, avocets, spoonbills, various gulls and terns - to name just a few.
* Learn how to set up a moth trap and help us to identify the catch of the night in the morning.
* Bring something to grill for your supper and gather around our fabulous roadii firegrill; we will set it up ready for all to use.
* Admire the amazing night sky of the Suffolk coast glittering over your tent before you crawl into your sleeping bag for the night.
* We will go very European for tea on the second day! Monika will make German pancakes with British eggs with a Danish hand mixer on an original Swedish cast iron pancake pan. It will certainly be fun mixing and backing them and we might even add some Sicillian lemons or Canadian maple sirup to make our teatime fully international.
This will be a real adventure and you can choose to sleep either under the stars or bring your own tent.
We will have exclusive access to the island and places are limited to 26 participants. Please note that for the event to be operational and go ahead we need a minimum of 14 participants. We have a very personal approach to all our adventures, issue gift certificates for presents and take pride in tailoring our events to your needs and expectations.
You need to have a reasonable level of fitness for this trip as it requires getting on and off the boat with your luggage, transporting your own camping equipment to the camp site and walking on the uneven and possibly wet or muddy ground.
Prices: £124 for adults; £78 for 5 to 16 year olds. Booking in advance is essential. The fees include exclusive admission, boat trip, photography and wildlife guidance, hot drinks, cereal breakfast and pancakes, and participation in all our activities.
Please either complete our booking form below, use our Eventbrite pages to book your place(s) or email your request to Monika@WASuffolk.com. Monika will reply to your enquiry within 48 hours and send you the payment details. Please do contact her if you don't seem to receive a reply.
The island is accessible by boat only and in adverse wind conditions, the trip may be cancelled at short notice at the organiser's discretion; in this case, you will get your booking fee fully refunded.
30% of the fees will go to the RSPB to fund nature conservation on the Suffolk coast. Please find information about this amazing nature reserve on www.rspb.org.uk/havergateisland.